Discovering that you’re expecting a child is an exciting time, but it can also be a challenge when it comes to finding maternity clothes that are both comfortable and sustainable. The fashion industry is notorious for its environmental and social impact, and maternity wear is no exception. However, there are steps you can take to ensure that your wardrobe is eco-friendly while still being stylish during pregnancy. This guide will share tips on how to shop for sustainable maternity clothes and introduce you to some ethical brands worth considering.
Why Sustainable Maternity Clothes Matter
The need for sustainable maternity clothes stems from the fact that the fashion industry is one of the largest polluters in the world, contributing to a variety of environmental issues such as water pollution, deforestation, and carbon emissions. Many clothing items are produced in factories with poor working conditions, often resulting in low wages and exploitation of workers. This is why it’s essential to shop for maternity clothes made by ethical brands that prioritize sustainability and fair labor practices.
Tips for Shopping Sustainable Maternity Clothes
- Choose high-quality materials: Look for maternity clothes made from natural, eco-friendly materials such as organic cotton, bamboo, or Tencel. These fabrics are not only sustainable but also soft, breathable, and comfortable to wear during pregnancy.
- Opt for versatile and adjustable pieces: Pregnancy can cause your body to change rapidly, so investing in adjustable and versatile clothing items can help you save money and reduce waste. Look for pieces that can be worn in multiple ways or have adjustable features, such as drawstring waistbands or expandable side panels.
- Shop second-hand or borrow: Buying pre-loved maternity clothes or borrowing from friends and family is an excellent way to save money and reduce the environmental impact of your wardrobe. Check out local thrift stores, consignment shops, or online marketplaces like eBay and Poshmark for affordable and sustainable maternity clothes.
- Support ethical brands: Research and support maternity brands that prioritize sustainable materials, ethical production methods, and fair labor practices. By purchasing from these companies, you are investing in a better future for the planet and its inhabitants.
Sustainable Maternity Brands to Consider
- Seraphine: This UK-based brand offers a range of stylish and eco-friendly maternity wear, including dresses, tops, and jeans made from organic cotton and other sustainable materials. Seraphine is committed to ethical production practices and transparent supply chains.
- Storq: Storq focuses on creating simple, comfortable, and sustainable maternity essentials. Their products are made from eco-friendly materials like Tencel, modal, and organic cotton, ensuring that your wardrobe is both comfortable and sustainable during pregnancy.
- Kindred Bravely: Known for their maternity and nursing bras, Kindred Bravely also offers a range of sustainable maternity clothing made from organic cotton and bamboo. They prioritize fair labor practices and are a Certified B Corporation.
- Hatch Collection: Hatch offers a range of maternity clothing made from eco-friendly materials like Tencel and organic cotton. They also have a “Hatch-to-Hospital” box, which includes sustainable essentials for your hospital stay during childbirth.
Further Reading and Listening
- Sustainable Fashion: Past, Present and Future: A comprehensive overview of the fashion industry’s impact on the environment and sustainable practices for the future.
- The Conscious Closet: The Revolutionary Guide to Looking Good While Doing Good: In this insightful book, author Elizabeth L. Cline explores the relationship between personal style and sustainability. She offers practical tips on how to build an ethical wardrobe, shop responsibly, and make more sustainable choices in our everyday lives. The Conscious Closet empowers readers to make a positive impact through their clothing choices, without sacrificing style or quality.